Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Bread

This recipe is from the Penzey's spice catalog and was submitted by Meredith Wittmann. It caught my eye because I love both peanut butter and bananas, and this bread also included some ground flax seed, which are optional but very healthy. I also used chunky natural peanut butter and baked them in smaller loaf pans.  


3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1/3 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup peanut butter- creamy or chunky
3 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup ground flax seed (optional)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp  Penzey's baking spice (blend of cinnamon, anise, allspice, mace and cardamom), you may substitute heaping 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of allspice, 1/4 tsp mace or less of nutmeg, 1/4 tsp cardamom.
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan or 2 smaller loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine bananas, eggs, yogurt, peanut butter and melted butter. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add the sugars and beat well. Add the flax seed; sift the baking soda, spices and flour together and add gradually, mixing until well blended. Pour into loaf pan(s) and bake for 65-75 minutes for the single pan or approximately 35-45 minutes if using the smaller pans. (Watch the smaller pans closely as  the size of smaller pans can vary and should be checked after about 25-30 minutes until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack in the pan(s) for 30 minutes before removing. Dust with powdered sugar or make a simple confectioner's sugar/milk glaze and drizzle over top after the loaf(s) has cooled.

Pin It


  1. We are big fans of banana bread here. Haven't tried it with peanut butter though. This sounds like a very delightful way to enjoy it!

  2. oh I need to try banana bread with peanut butter. Great idea!

  3. What a good combination of banana and peanut butter. Must taste delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe. :)

  4. This is such a fun twist on the regular banana bread - that glaze on top really takes it over the top, making it perfect for breakfast :D
    Wonderful blog and thanks for this delicious post!

    Choc Chip Uru

  5. OMG yes please! I go to Penzey's whenever I visit my parents but haven't bought the baking spice before. Now it's on my ever growing list of what I need to pick up there on my next trip!


I love to receive feedback . So feel free to leave me a message and make my day! If you have a blog, leave a link so I can stop by your site and leave some comments, too. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a message with your first name and leave the website space empty. Unfortunately, due to excessive spam, I have enabled the word verification in order to leave a message.