I love buttermilk pancakes but do not always have buttermilk on hand to use. Sometimes I make soured milk to use, but it takes a little time and forethought. On the SACO Buttermilk Powder container, there is a recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes that we use and really enjoy. I have adapted it and made it into a bulk mix that can be made up and save some time when you are making pancakes. I was able to find buttermilk powder in a 10 pound package much cheaper at one of the local country stores, and I store the extra in the freezer. If you have any stores near you that sell bulk foods, they are probably able to order the buttermilk powder for you at a much cheaper price than the name brands available online or in the stores.
*Note: the label in the picture has been changed since I took the picture and should not be followed for this recipe since I adjusted ingredients in the meantime.
Bulk Recipe Ingredients:
- 10 cups all purpose flour (or up to 5 cups whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour; may also use 4 cups all purpose flour, 3 cups cake flour and 3 cups whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 2 1/2 cups powdered buttermilk powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine/sift together the ingredients, being sure to mix everything together very well.
- Store in a cool place in a well-sealed gallon container.
Below are the instructions that you can print out on a large label and affix to the side of your container. This way you always have the instructions when you are ready to make pancakes. You may need to copy/paste and adjust according to the size of your labels.
ac ac ac ac ac
Buttermilk Pancake Mix
To Make Pancakes: Makes about 10 pancakes (4 inch)
- 1 1/2 cups pancake mix
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 - 1 cup water (depending on how thick you like your pancakes)
- 2-4 Tbsp oil or melted butter
- Measure 1 1/2 cups of pancake mix into a medium mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together egg, vanilla, water and oil.
- Add liquids into the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened/combined, being careful to not over-mix.
- Heat skillet or griddle on medium high heat.
- Drop 2-3 Tbsp of batter into greased skillet/griddle and cook until bubbles appear around the top of the pancakes.
- Flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until other side is golden brown.
Optional add-ins: 1/4 cup applesauce or grated apples or other finely chopped fruit, 1/4 cup coconut or chopped nuts. If using chocolate or other flavored baking chips or berries, toss first in a couple Tbsp of flour to keep them from falling to the bottom of the bowl.
Shared with the following:
Mop It Up Monday 51