Thursday, February 21, 2013

How To Perk Up Jarred Salsa


While I have written before about how I love fresh salsa and there is nothing that can beat its flavor, I also know that fresh salsa is quite expensive to buy and even make any time of year, especially in the winter when so many of the items are not in season. So I LOVE shopping at Aldi's for fresh produce because it is so much cheaper. I can find grape tomatoes and avocados, among other things, at about half the sale price at other stores. Jarred salsa makes a great snack and is much cheaper but really needs a little something more to enhance it. I love avocados, but not alone, and they are a great super-food. So one of our favorite ways to eat them is chopped in salsa. Also, I am a great fan of cilantro and it is affordable any time of the year. Lately, we have been hooked on this recipe and I thought I would share it with everyone here. Here's to spring and getting a salsa garden going!

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups of salsa
  • 1 15 oz. can of corn, drained or 2 cups of fresh/frozen cooked corn, drained
  • 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained or 2 cups of cooked black beans
  • 2 avocados, cut into small chunks
  • cilantro, chopped (according to taste)
  • lime juice (according to taste), may substitute lemon in a pinch
  • 1 small- medium chopped red onion, or whatever type you have on hand
  • Handful or more of grape tomatoes, quartered

Directions:

  • Combine all ingredients together and allow flavors to combine for a couple hours- although I found this quite addicting when I was tasting during preparation!


2 comments:

  1. Great idea, I like your recipe. I made salsa this year, but I agree with you, it's great year round, but store bought it too salty. Your additions look great!
    lindsey
    www.leftoverslady.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Lindsey. It is nice to perk up even your own homemade canned salsa since the flavor is not the same as fresh salsa.

      Delete

I love to receive feedback . So feel free to leave me a message and make my day! If you have a blog, leave a link so I can stop by your site and leave some comments, too. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a message with your first name and leave the website space empty. Unfortunately, due to excessive spam, I have enabled the word verification in order to leave a message.