Monday, April 2, 2012

Cheeseburger Soup



Even though we are experiencing some lovely spring weather, I still love to make up soups during this time since my husband does not care to have soups during the hot summer months. This recipe is more like a thick chowder with the creamy and cheesy base and is great for adding in any number of vegetables for those little (or big) people in the house who might not like to eat their veggies. I have adapted it somewhat from the original version I found online on the Taste of Home site.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 - 3/4 pound ground beef
  • large onion, chopped
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed
  • 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
  • 6 mushroom, finely chopped (optional)
  • 3/4 cup carrots, sliced
  • 3/4 cup celery, diced
  • 1-2 Tbsp sofrito (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
  • 1 tsp dried basil flakes
  • 3-4 cups chicken broth (I used 1/2 chicken, 1/2 beef broth)
  • 4 cups potatoes, diced (I left the peels on them) (about 2 pounds of potatoes)
  • 1 3/4 cups canned chopped tomatoes (I used one 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes with Italian herbs)
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 8 oz (2 cups) cheese of choice, cubed (Velveeta or muenster cheese makes it more creamy, but it will still be good with other types of cheese)
  • 1 1/2 cups milk (if using skim milk, may start with a can of evaporated milk and add enough skim milk to equal amount needed)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
Directions:
  • In a stockpot, sauté the ground beef, onion, celery, mushrooms, salt and pepper until the onion is translucent. 
  • Drain off some of the fat and add in the garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. 
  • Add the sofrito, carrots, herbs, broth, tomatoes with juice and potatoes and bring to a boil. 
  • While that is cooking, melt butter in a saucepan or a large skillet and add in the flour, stirring well and cooking for approximately 2 minutes. Add in the milk gradually while stirring; then pour into the soup, mixing well. 
  • Cook soup over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until vegetables and potatoes are tender.
  • When finished cooking, add in the cheese, stirring well until melted. May also blend in the sour cream if desired. (I will often omit this since it is already very creamy and rich.)
Serves approximately 4-6 

This is wonderful with a salad and/or bread!


This was shared with the following:

9 comments:

  1. Cheeseburger soup. What a great idea and it looks delicious. It's making me hungry just looking at it. Perfect for spring weather. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheeseburger soup sounds awesome Sarah! I'm pretty sure my girls will enjoy this. We all love soup here regardless of the season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe! Would you consider sharing it {and any others} at my party?
    http://www.thetaylor-house.com/2012/04/taylor-house-thursday-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe from TOH, one of our faves! I'm visiting from The Country Cook's potluck party. Come say hello sometime at my blog

    http://stellabskitchen.blogspot.com

    I need to make this soon, it's so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love cheeseburger soup and your recipe looks awesome! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I saw this recipe I decided I had to be your follower. It's Super Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought Cheeseburger soup is some creative creation from someone, but when I googled it there are so many recipes! I didn't know this menu existed before! How interesting! It definitely got my full attention because of the name! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! This post was one of the top 5 viewed posts on Food Frenzy for April 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making a "Clean eating' version of this recipe tonight. thank you Sarah ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive feedback . So feel free to leave me a message and make my day! If you have a blog, leave a link so I can stop by your site and leave some comments, too. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a message with your first name and leave the website space empty. Unfortunately, due to excessive spam, I have enabled the word verification in order to leave a message.