Friday, February 4, 2011

Mom's Easy Goulash





My mom has made goulash for many years- a true comfort food. I am posting her recipe and adding in my additions and changes. Although there are so many different types of recipes/versions of goulash, one of the common ingredients is paprika. While reading over my mom's recipe, I realized that she never used paprika- or at least did not include it in the list. However, it was always a favorite, and it only gets better with age. So make it up a day or two ahead of time.

Ingredients:

1/2 - 3/4 pound ground beef or ground lamb, browned and fat drained off
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped small
1 tsp Goya Adobo seasoned salt (or regular salt)
pepper to taste
1 tsp Italian herb blend (or 1/2 tsp each of oregano and basil)
1-2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce (I added a few dashes more)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (my addition)
1/2 tsp smoked paprika (my addition- or you may use 1 tsp of sweet paprika)
1 25oz jar of spaghetti sauce (or homemade, if preferred)
dash of cayenne pepper, if desired
1-2 Tbsp brown sugar (if desired to cut the acidity of the tomatoes)
1-2 beef bouillon cubes (my addition)
2 cups uncooked pasta

After meat has been browned, add the onion, garlic, green pepper, salt and pepper. Continue to cook the onion until tender. Then add in the sauce and other ingredients except the pasta. At this point it may be put in a slow cooker/crock pot to cook on low for about 4-6 hours, if desired. If cooking on the stove, it is best simmered for approximately 1-2 hours. Approximately 20 minutes before serving, cook the pasta according to directions. Then add into the sauce and mix well.

Serve with bread and salad or vegetables, if desired. This is good garnished with grated cheese.

This recipe serves 3-4 adults.

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to your mom. That recipe sounds delicious and certainly comforting. Maybe she never listed paprika in the ingredients as it is just a foregone conclusion that goulash has it in it. After tasting this and comparing it with mom's you should be able to pick whether or not she added some to hers. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive feedback . So feel free to leave me a message and make my day! If you have a blog, leave a link so I can stop by your site and leave some comments, too. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a message with your first name and leave the website space empty. Unfortunately, due to excessive spam, I have enabled the word verification in order to leave a message.