Monday, January 3, 2011

Amish Potato or Macaroni Salad with No-Cook dressing



Growing up in upstate New York, I loved my grandmother's and mom's potato and macaroni salads. Then I married into a PA Dutch family and realized there was a completely different type of salad that some people ate. Over time, I have learned to like this salad. It is slightly sweet and sour, which is typical of Pennsylvania Dutch salads. It is best made a day or two ahead so the flavors can incorporate more into the potatoes and macaroni. I usually make this more in the summer when we are grilling, but it is good anytime of the year. My family just enjoyed some great chicken bar-b-que, as well as some wonderful hamburgers and dogs from the grill, with these salads over the last week. (I am updating this recipe and adding photos in May- not at the original posting in January! ;) )   This is an easy recipe that uses the same dressing mixture for macaroni or potato salad. As an aside, I also add ground or grated carrot to the salads so the kids get some more veggies.


Ingredients

2 cups uncooked macaroni, cooked according to instructions
       (or 5 cups peeled, chopped potatoes boiled until just beginning to become soft)
4 hard-boiled eggs, cooled, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped (may use a little more)
1/2 - 1 small onion, finely diced or ground
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
carrots, ground or grated (optional)

Dressing

1 3/4 cup salad dressing (spread) or mayonnaise
1/4- 1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp ground mustard (I often use prepared mustard instead)
1 1/2-2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp milk

Mix dressing ingredients together. (When making the potato salad, lightly salt the potatoes after draining them from the hot water. Mix them gently and allow to cool.) Pour dressing mixture over macaroni or potatoes and vegetables. Stir gently. Is best chilled for at least 1 day. Keeps well in the fridge up to 2 weeks. (I adjust the dressing to taste- adding a little more vinegar or mustard or mayonnaise if I feel it needs it.)

*Recipe adapted from The Bulk Food Cookbook by Ruth Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive feedback . So feel free to leave me a message and make my day! If you have a blog, leave a link so I can stop by your site and leave some comments, too. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a message with your first name and leave the website space empty. Unfortunately, due to excessive spam, I have enabled the word verification in order to leave a message.