Trying to eat more healthy? This is a great way for you to have a powerful nutritional drink that is easy to take on the go and keeps well in the fridge. My grandfather drank this for many years, and I have started trying to make this for our family. This will surely help your body fight off sickness and give it the nutrients we all need. Although it takes a little time to clean/prep the items, but you may only need to make it every few days. The options of fruits and veggies that you can put together are limitless. So have fun and give this a try. At my house, I blend it up and then give a "shot" of it to everyone, including all the kids (some are happier than others, but they have learned to eat/drink what is given for the most part). It is helpful to have a good blender.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1-2 apples, washed, cored and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup of peaches, canned, fresh or frozen
- 1 -2 cups of crushed pineapple or pineapple juice, unsweetened
- 1 small cucumber, mostly peeled, or 1/2 medium cucumber
- 1 stalk celery, cleaned and cut into chunks
- 1 heaping handful of rinsed spinach
- 2-3 leaves of romaine lettuce, cleaned and torn into chunks, or you may use kale
- 4-6 sprigs of parsley, without the thicker stems
- 1 large carrot, or may use a large handful of baby carrots (I prefer these as they are not so pulpy and usually sweeter)
- optional- 1-2 Tbsp chia seeds (this actually helps keep it thicker as the ice melts or it sits in the fridge)
- 1 tbsp flax seed (ground or whole)
- Blend first few ingredients together and add the remaining gradually as your blender can handle it. You may need to scrape down the sides and push the lettuce/spinach down at times.
- If you desire it very cold, you may add some ice. However, the blender will be very full. So you may need to take some out in order to add the ice.
This is pretty thick and you may want to add some water or other type of unsweetened juice if you like it thinner. I usually eat this with a spoon.
To all of our health!