Thursday, December 29, 2011

Guacamole



Avacados are one of those foods that many people either like or dislike. I never really cared for them, and never even ate them until I was much older. That may explain why I have not been very fond of them in their unadulterated form. However, I have lately developed a taste for them in guacamole- if there are enough other ingredients and flavors present. This recipe is my version of guacamole as my husband and I have enjoyed it lately. Since avacados are so healthy for us- believed to be helpful in lowering cholesterol, full of the healthy fats our bodies need to function properly, great for heart health, may prevent cancers, high in fiber, as well as  high in lutein, which helps our eyes function properly- it makes sense to try to eat more of this fruit any way we can.

Ingredients:

2 large ripe avacados, pulp mashed
3-4 Tbsp lime juice (or lemon)
1/4 -1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
3/4 cup chopped tomatoes (I used grape tomatoes)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (may use dried cilantro, but is not as potent or flavorful)
1 1/2 tsp cumin powder
3/4 tsp salt (I used Adobo seasoned salt)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp green pepper sauce
1 medium red or sweet white onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, grated or put through a garlic press
(The above ingredients are only approximate amounts. You will need to taste and adjust them as desired.)


Mix all the above ingredients together and allow flavors to blend in the refrigerator for at least a few hours. Serve with corn chips or use with Mexican dishes.







Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am even following your blog (in addition to your facebook page). This looks great! Would love to try out this recipe. Do feel free to follow my blog as well so that we can keep a tab of each other's posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mexican food. May be because I am gluten free, So Indian and Mexican food are the best safe foods.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive feedback . So feel free to leave me a message and make my day! If you have a blog, leave a link so I can stop by your site and leave some comments, too. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a message with your first name and leave the website space empty. Unfortunately, due to excessive spam, I have enabled the word verification in order to leave a message.