- 3 1/2 cups cooked rice, white or brown (I had some of both)
- 2 cups freshly cooked corn (I used our own frozen corn- so much sweeter and richer)
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced or a combination of both
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, chopped finely (optional- does not really add any heat)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 6 small green onions, sliced
- 1-2 avocados, chopped into small chunks
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 can small red beans or black beans, rinsed (whatever type of bean you like)
- 1/4-1/2 cup black olives, chopped (optional, may also use green olives)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro or parsley (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 cup white vinegar (may substitute red wine vinegar also)
- 1 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
- 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp cumin (adjust to taste- I used more because I really like a stronger cumin flavor)
- Mix rice, vegetables and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix dressing ingredients together and pour over the salad ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients together well. Chill for about 4 hours- the longer, the more flavor.
** The dressing does not have any sweetener but the corn and rice balance it out and it is not too tart.
Feel free to add in some chopped celery, carrots and any other vegetables you need to use up.