Makes 16-18 servings
- 3 eggs, beaten well
- 2 cups sugar (may use 1/2 brown sugar, 1/2 granulated sugar)
- 1 cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or may use apple pie spice if using apples)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups fruit- peaches (sliced or chopped), apples (chopped), blueberries, pears, or variety of berries, etc
Crumb Topping (optional):
- 1/3 flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2-4 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease (2) 8x8 inch or (1)13x9 inch baking pan or (2) bread loaf pans.
- Mix eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla together in a large bowl.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in another bowl and add into the wet ingredients, combining well.
- Stir in fruit.
- If not using toppings, then pour batter into prepared pan(s) and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture (2 Tbsp sugar mixed with 1 1/2 -2 tsp cinnamon). Bake for about 45 minutes, checking after 35 minutes (if using loaf pans, bake for about 45-60 minutes but start checking at 40-45 minutes)- until toothpick inserted in middle comes out pretty well clean.
- If making the crumb topping, combine the dry ingredients and then use a fork to cut in the butter until it resembles peas. Sprinkle over top of the batter waiting in the pans. (This can be made ahead before starting cake batter). Bake as instructed above.
- After the cake is cooling on a wire rack, combine sifted confection's sugar and vanilla and milk, stirring until smooth. Start with the lesser amount of milk and gradually add more by tablespoons until the desired consistency is obtained. Pour over the cake/bread after it is cooled.