This is a healthy, yet very delicious salad that my mom has made for many years. This is the same way she makes it, except with the addition of crushed pineapple. It is light, but refreshing; great for summer and winter alike. If you do not have honey, you may use some other type of sweetener. Agave would probably be the best other substitute and any other types of sweeteners would change the flavor somewhat.
- 4 cups peeled and grated carrots (about 4-6 large ones)
- 2 oranges, peeled, separated and sliced into thin chunks
- 2 apples, peeled (or not), cored, sliced and diced
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup honey (more or less to taste)
- 1 8oz. can crushed pineapple (unsweetened) with its juice
- 2/3 cup mayo (may use light/less fat, but not fat free)
- After preparing ingredients, mix together and stir well. This is best made a day ahead so the flavors can intermingle and the raisins can plump up. This is supposed to be a "juicy" salad. Keeps well in the fridge.