Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lemon Glaze Cake



This is an easy cake that is refreshing and moist. It has been a favorite in my family while I was growing up and is now a favorite with my husband and children. In fact, simple though it looks, it really packs a punch with flavor as the tart glaze permeates the entire cake. There are numerous ways this recipe can be switched up. So look at the end of the post to see some of the other ways we have enjoyed this cake.

Ingredients:

  • 4 eggs
  • 1  3-4oz package lemon jello
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 yellow (I use lemon) cake mix
  • 3/4 cup oil

Glaze:

  • juice of 2 lemons (I use 3 because I like a more tart glaze)
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners (10X/powdered) sugar

Directions:

  • Beat eggs, jello and water for 2 minutes in a small bowl.  
  • In a large mixing bowl, mix cake mix and oil. 
  • Add the egg mixture to the cake mix and beat 1 minute.
  • Pour into a greased and floured  9x13inch cake pan (or you may use spray with flour in the can).
  • Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. 
  • While cake is baking, make glaze by mixing juice and sugar. 
  • While cake is still hot, pierce it many times with a fork and pour the glaze over the surface.

Variations:  

  • Use orange cake mix or recipe and orange jello, then use orange juice to make the glaze.  
  • Prepare lemon pudding and spread over the cooled/glazed cake and then top with whipped cream for the best version yet!


*Recipe adapted from the Elmira College Cookbook 1971, by Mary Casciato.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to receive feedback . So feel free to leave me a message and make my day! If you have a blog, leave a link so I can stop by your site and leave some comments, too. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a message with your first name and leave the website space empty. Unfortunately, due to excessive spam, I have enabled the word verification in order to leave a message.