Monday, January 10, 2011

Angelica's German Rice Salad

This recipe makes a nice hot weather supper with hard rolls/hearty bread or breadsticks and fruit for dessert, or a side dish the remainder of the year.

Ingredients:

6 1/2 oz tuna (could substitute 1 cup cooked chopped chicken)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
1 large dill pickle, chopped
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1-3 Tbsp oil
1-2 Tbsp vinegar
2 cups cooked brown rice (or white rice)
3 large tomatoes, chopped

Have all ingredients cold. Mix meat with onion, eggs, pickle and pepper. Add oil and vinegar; toss. Add rice. Add more oil and vinegar, if desired. Add tomatoes. Chill well. If you wish, you may garnish with tomato, lemon wedges and parsley.


* This recipe was from a woman from West Berlin years ago and submitted by Sue La Leike  in Whole Foods For The Whole Family La Leche League International Cookbook 1981.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad to find some of my favorite "Whole Foods for the Whole Family" posted online. I don't bring cookbooks with me when I travel :-). And my copy of the cookbook is really old and "well-loved", and might not even hold up to the rigors of a trip! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive feedback . So feel free to leave me a message and make my day! If you have a blog, leave a link so I can stop by your site and leave some comments, too. If you don't have a blog, you can leave a message with your first name and leave the website space empty. Unfortunately, due to excessive spam, I have enabled the word verification in order to leave a message.