This is a golden oldie and has been a favorite in my family for many years. I often add in other beans, such as chickpeas (garbanzo beans). Its flavors are similar to those found in the Pennsylvania Dutch region, where it may have originated. However, I believe its popularity has spread far and wide. It is also quite healthy. While we often eat this salad in the summer, it is good anytime of the year.
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 1 can kidney beans (light or dark) or lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of yellow wax beans, drained, or may use 1 1/2 cup steamed fresh wax beans
- 1 can of green beans, drained, or may use 1 1/2 cup steamed fresh green beans
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- Mix the sugar, seasonings, oil and vinegar together and pour over the drained beans, pepper and onion.
- Chill before serving. It is good to make this at least 6-8 hours in advance so the flavors can blend. Keeps well in the fridge.